Instagram

Friday, April 6, 2012

Bobby Petrino, Is he still your coach?

Razorback Nation has been on a heck of an emotional roller-coaster this past week. Fans found out Sunday night that Coach Petrino had been in a motorcycle accident. Everyone rallied around Coach with prayers and thoughts of a quick recovery. Love for Coach Petrino was at an all time high that is till Thursday afternoon. Rumors were all over the place when the police report came out that said there was a passenger involved in the wreck. Turns out that passenger was a 25 year old female employee. Late Thursday night there was a press conference held by Athletic Director Jeff Long. Right before the presser the media was issued a written statement from Coach Petrino. Petrino Statement In the statement Petrino admits to having an inappropriate relationship. Now Razorback Nation is divided on what should be done about this situation. My feeling is Petrino will be suspended for several games that may include a huge match up with defending champion Alabama. I really hope that he will be back. He has the team on the verge of winning championships. I am in now way condoning what he has done but if he didn't break any laws or rules then I don't have a problem with what he does on his own time. I am only concerned with what he does on the football field. The biggest question that has to be answered is did coach break any university policies. That to me that is what Jeff long is investigating. There is also the fact that coach lied to the AD and everyone else about what really happened. He was trying to cover it up as to not embarrass the school or his family but it has made the situation even worse and more embarrassing. Petrino's past is a major catalyst of why the national media is reacting the way they are.  I encourage everyone to seek out information from legitimate news sources and make an educated opinion. I would love to have some feedback and see how everyone feels about this topic.

3 comments:

  1. I believe it's a personal matter between him and his wife, other than lying to the public. I feel that he didn't come forward with the information earlier to protect the young lady and not embarrass his wife and family, that at least shows he has some kind of morals. I feel he should apologize publicly to both the students and to the State of Arkansas, no man is perfect, they could put him on probation of some sort and let it go because in the big scheme of things it's small potatoes- she wasn't a student, the relationship seems consensual, they are both adults and if he didn't wreck his motorcycle we probably never would have known about it. WPS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobby Petrino is absolutely "my" head coach. And no-one else. I don't even want to contemplate the what-ifs. No Suspension, No firing. Just let Petrino's ass get back to work.

    Anyone thinking about an “interim coach,” just remember the last time we had one. Do you want to re-live the 2008 Cotton Bowl for a single game, much less an entire season? Who wants to see a 38 - 7 loss to Alabama in 2012 at Fayetteville? Anyone? Bueller?

    As far as Petrino, I’m not his wife nor his boss, so I’m not bothered about what he’s done with his personal life or how he handled it with his superior. As a fan though, I’m extremely pleased with his job performance. Because not only has he brought back winning, he has done what no-one else has: taken Arkansas to a BCS bowl game.

    As long as Bobby Petrino keeps winning, and does so without recruiting violations & NCAA sanctions, I want him to remain our head coach.

    As far as "preserving Arkansas’ image"?? what image? ESPN, along with CBS & FoxSports, has berated us & Petrino every chance they get. They’re still talking about Atlanta because they never shut up about Atlanta.

    Recruiting? First, no kid goes to college to acquire morals. Football players choose based on hopes of getting to the NFL, and they might pickup a degree along they way, if they’re lucky. Recruiting is affected by winning, which Bobby Petrino has done and should continue to do. If Petrino stays and Ark wins a BCS Title, the ‘recruiting’ question is moot.

    Oh, and if Petrino is fired, what becomes of the $35 Million facilities expansion that was planned as part of his contract renewal? If that goes away with Bobby, wouldn't that negatively affect recruiting??

    Just look at how well Lane Kiffin (with his reputation) and USC (under NCAA sanctions) recruited this last class.

    We'll be fine, because Petrino will keep winning; but that's only if each Hog fan can stop thinking *they* know what's best for the program. 12 hour a day talk radio, and social media was very likely the final nail in the coffin for Houston Dale, and very well could be for Petrino. (along with the idiots who take out newspaper ads)

    If you don't support the Coach, who is apart of the Team you claim to be a fan of, then you're not a true fan... So. Shut. The. Fuck. Up. Go root for the Red Wolves.

    ...oh, and stop paying to attention to national media like ESPN, who at this point is only trying to drive #'s by using shock value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Looks like I hafta eat some crow here. So I will: I. Was. Wrong.

    Of course, I, like everyone else was giving my opinion without knowing all of the facts about the entire situation.

    So, let me follow up... $20K gift? Further details about the 'hiring process?' The text message history now coming to light? Jeff Long's comments about "manipulative, deceiving" nature? Yep I have changed my mind.

    I was 100% Keep Petrino, until Tuesday night's press conference. Now, I believe Long made the correct decision, even if the Hogs suffer for the next few years to come.

    Am I disappointed in the situation? Of course. But I have nothing but respect for Jeff Long and the job he continues to do, as I feel is without reproach.

    I still maintain that a true fan supports the coach of the team, through the good and the bad; until fans are told that person is no longer the coach.

    I would like to go on record by disagreeing with looking to hire McGee, Malzahn, or promoting within. I want to see a proven, experienced, big name coach. And, since U of A is not on the hook for the buyout, we can afford it!

    We'll still be fine at the U of A; except now, for the first time in the long time, we are in the favorable light of the Ntn'l media.

    Go Hogs!

    ReplyDelete